From Paper Doll Pattern Co.:
An easy-fitting boho style dress featuring tie front neckline & a gathered skirt with in-seam pockets. View A has a lined bodice, voluminous sleeves with an elasticated cuff & finishes around the knee. View B has a lined bodice with functional front button + self loop placket (perfect for new mamas!) and is sleeveless. View C has an unlined bodice (perfect for sheer fabrics) finished with bias binding around the neckline, voluminous sleeves & has an extra ruffle panel at the hem, finishing below the knee.
Ability level: Intermediate (we have included some alternative sewing methods to make this pattern more accessible for experienced beginners)
Instructions are for straight stitched & overlocked (serged) seams but it is possible to sew this style using French seams and/or a zig zag stitch instead of overlocking.
Sewing techniques included in this style:
- The neckline & armholes are bagged out with a self lining, using the burrito sewing method. If you have never done this technique before it may seem tricky at first. We have included an alternative sewing method for those who require an easier construction. We also have a mini video tutorial on Instagram highlights that shows the baby/toddler version being sewn. Insta handle: paperdollpatternco, video "Bella, Isobel & Izzy Sleeve"
- The sleeve cuffs (views A&C) are double turned to create a channel for the elastic
- The skirt hems are double turned for a clean finish, though you can overlock (serge) & stitch if you prefer
- Self-fabric rouleaux (spaghetti ties) are inserted into the centre front seam. These are created using either a special rouleau tool, or you can use a hair pin to turn the tie instead
- In-seam pockets inserted into the side seams
- The rest of the garment is made up of regular straight stitching, gathering & has overlocked (serged) seam allowances
Sizes: NZ/AU 6-28