Before we get started, we wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who's been responding to our call for help! We really felt the love last week, seeing more people posting on Textillia and also a ton more people joining - hello and welcome to all the new members!
News from the Sewiverse is all our latest news and finds: indie pattern launches, podcast episodes, interesting articles, and all the goings on in the sewing universe! In this edition:
- Blueprints for Sewing Geodesic
- Closet Case Patterns Morgan Boyfriend Jeans
- Carolyn Friedlander x RK Essex Linen = Euclid
- Made by Rae is on Creativebug, Sewing for Little Ones!
- Cashmerette Concord T-Shirt
- Megan Nielsen Sudley Blouse
- Art Gallery Fabrics The Denim Studio
- Cotton + Steel "Checkers" Out This Summer
- Robert Kaufman Greenwich
- Tessuti Audrey Shirt
- Lizzy House Whisper Palette
- Events and Workshops
- Best of Blogs + News, and Podcasts!
Blueprints for Sewing Geodesic
Geodesic is the super fun new sweatshirt pattern from Blueprints for Sewing - just like a geodesic dome, the body of the pattern is made from triangles! Can't wait to see what you all do with this one, there are so many options to get creative with it!
Closet Case Patterns Morgan Boyfriend Jeans
Carolyn Friedlander x RK Essex Linen = Euclid
Carolyn Friedlander's Euclid is out - a special collection printed on Robert Kaufman Essex Linen. It's absolutely beautiful, and can be used for so many different types of projects, as you can see from the photo below. Be sure to browse the lookbook on her website, it's full of gorgeous ideas!
Made by Rae is on Creativebug, Sewing for Little Ones!
Creativebug has a new 3 part class called "Sewing for Little Ones" with Rae from Made by Rae, on sewing for small children (ages 0-3). It includes both patterns and how to trace existing garments for kids!
Cashmerette Concord T-Shirt
Cashmerette is an indie pattern company specializing in plus-size patterns, and they provide patterns in multiple cup sizes so curvy sewists can get the best possible fit. Following up their super popular dresses, the latest pattern is the Concord T-shirt. The Concord is a basic t-shirt pattern with a ton of fun variations, so you can make a whole wardrobe of different styles!
Megan Nielsen Sudley Blouse
Art Gallery Fabrics The Denim Studio
Have you seen Art Gallery Fabrics' Denim Studio line? If you ever lamented the lack of options in denim, they have come to save the day!
And if their Denim Studio website didn't give you enough ideas of what you can make, in case you missed it, I had to include this STUNNING Grainline Cascade coat that Jennifer from Ginger Peach Studio made with a quilt block on the back! (Be sure to read her post about all the modifications and details she included!)
Cotton + Steel "Checkers" Out This Summer
This summer, Cotton + Steel will be releasing their first woven basics collection Checkers, which includes 17 different checked fabrics!
Robert Kaufman Greenwich
Robert Kaufman's Greenwich is a yarn dyed, combed, top weight fabric and is apparently even softer and finer than lawn with a beautiful sheen... Yum!
Tessuti Audrey Shirt
Lizzy House Whisper Palette
Not only has Andover released two more Hit Parade collections from Lizzy House, in both cotton lawn and double gauze, but her new collection The Whisper Palette is out. Full of favorites from previous collections redone into all low volume prints! (Photo from The Workroom.)
Events and Workshops
Speaking of Lizzy House: A new dress contest!!! (Ends May 20th!)
Remember the epic cat dress contest? A new Lizzy House dress contest has been announced, and there are prizes!!! All the details are here.
Fancy Tiger Crafts 10th Anniversary! (June 18, 2016, Denver, CO)
If you're in or around Denver, put this date on your calendar, because it sounds AMAZING! A little birdie said there would be workshops with Stephen West and Sonya Philip!
Purl Soho is hiring! (Westport/Southport, CT and in NYC)
Not exactly an event, but had to share this in case anyone lives around there, what a gorgeous place to work! Details about the positions are here.
Blogs + News
- Colette launched their new Colette Patterns website! You can browse Colette + Seamwork patterns together in one place, and there are lots of new photos and samples!
- Spoonflower's Sprout Patterns announces the Sprout Collective, a platform for budding pattern designers that helps get their patterns in front of Sprout customers (for no extra charge to the customer). There's not much info on their site about how this works for the designers, but I'd be curious to hear experiences either using or creating Sprout patterns! (Via the While She Naps newsletter.)
- On Gather Here's new space in Cambridge, MA.
- I can't relate to this post from Megan Nielsen on things sewers care about at all, nope. *cough, cough* ;)
- Seamwork covers the Fibershed project's work around local fiber and textile production.
- Mending is trending! (Via the Craft Industry Alliance newsletter)
- Did you see all these super fancy Ginger Jeans!?
- Cal Patch is teaming up with Good Clothing Company to start making her iconic smock dresses using ethical small batch manufacturing based in the US.
- Check out these amazing textile art butterflies.
- From Abby Glassenberg: Spoonflower now has fleece!
- Several quilters have been working on a Craftivism project to commemorate the disappearance of 43 Mexican college students with the 43 for 43 project. You can see Krista Hennebury's contribution on her blog and read about the origins of the project on Zak Foster's blog - he organized this after traveling to Mexico. Lots more pics of the quilt blocks on the #43for43 tag on Instagram.
- Closet Case Files publishes the results of their sizing survey.
- Seamwork on the basics of Sashiko embroidery.
- Etsy fights for their right to have gender neutral bathrooms.
- An oldie but goodie, NPR covers how Missouri Star Quilt Co. revitalized their town's economy.
- Ivy Arch's blog and her gorgeous eye candy dresses and coats.
- Episode 6 of Quilt Your Heart Out with modern quilt designer Cheryl Arkison.
- Episode 57 of Crafty Planner with indie pattern designer Jen Beeman of Grainline Studio.
- Episode 81 of Raise Your Hand Say Yes with textile artist and professor Lisa Solomon.
- Episode 26 of Squam's Morning on the Dock with The Craft Sessions' Felicia Semple
- Then, Episode 55 of Woolful features Squam's Elizabeth Duvivier!
- Last but not least, Thread Cult is back!!!
If you have something you think I should include in the next edition, please tag me on social media @textillia or drop me a quick message through the Contact page!
ps. If you're enjoying Textillia and want to help make it a success, here are some ways you can help out!