News from the Sewiverse is all our latest news and finds: indie pattern launches, podcast episodes, interesting articles, and all the goings on in the sewing universe! In this edition:
- Rosie Martin from DIY Couture's "No Patterns Needed"
- Fancy Tiger Crafts Adventure Tank
- Helen's Closet Winslow Culottes
- Seamwork Eugene + Harrington
- Melody Miller Trinket Quilt
- Dottie Angel Wrap and Slip Dress
- Seamwork Elmira + Lynn
- Sew Caroline San Francisco Swing Top + Dress
- Giuseppe Ribaudo Flying Geese Patchwork Bag
- A. L. + Lindsey Neill Donut Delight Quilt
- Cashmerette Springfield Top
- Made by Rae Gemma Tank
- Christine Haynes Lottie Hacks
- Events and Workshops
- Best of Blogs + News, and Podcasts!
Rosie Martin's "No Patterns Needed"
No Patterns Needed is the latest book from DIY fashion genius Rosie Martin. In this book, Rosie teaches you how to create loads of different looks and garments, all based on simple shapes you can draft yourself!
Fancy Tiger Crafts Adventure Tank
Summer is for adventure, so better be prepared with Fancy Tiger Crafts' latest pattern, the Adventure Tank! Make it as a racerback or muscle tank, and feel comfy and ready for anything!
Helen's Closet Winslow Culottes
The first pattern from new Vancouver-based pattern designer Helen's Closet, the Winslow Culottes will have you feeling cool and polished all season, in 4 different lengths that look great on everyone.
Seamwork Eugene + Harrington
Seamwork's July issue brought us the Eugene henley tee, and the Harrington shorts, which can also be made as a swimsuit. Both make great everyday staples for summer relaxation!
Melody Miller Trinket Quilt
Melody Miller from Cotton + Steel's incredible Trinket Quilt pattern is free, and features vintage pens - it's specially made for her latest fabric line (also called Trinket).
Dottie Angel Wrap and Slip Dress
A new Dottie Angel pattern, the Dottie Angel Wrap and Slip Dress! This is a two in one pattern with a wrap dress with an apron pocket, and a coordinating slip that can be layered or worn on its own.
Seamwork Elmira + Lynn
The August issue of Seamwork included the super pretty Elmira ballet wrap sweater, and the Lynn dress, which has a button back and options for interesting colorblocking.
Sew Caroline San Francisco Swing Top + Dress
Sew Caroline's San Francisco Swing Top + Dress has an optional split back that will help keep you cool and comfortable on even the hottest days.
Giuseppe Ribaudo Flying Geese Patchwork Bag
Giuseppe Ribaudo (aka. "Giucy Giuce") released this amazing free bucket bag tutorial on the Bernina website for the summer. The Flying Geese Patchwork Bag can be made using flying geese or any quilt block, and is a great stashbusting project.
A. L. + Lindsey Neill Donut Delight Quilt
Who doesn't want to cozy up under a blanket of donuts? The Donut Delight Quilt, is a collaboration between A. L. of Peach + Pluto and Lindsey Neill of Pen + Paper Patterns for Love Quilting & Patchwork Magazine.
Cashmerette Springfield Top
Are tanks the hot ticket item this summer or what? Cashmerette's new Springfield Top, is a plus sized tank pattern, which comes in two variations with multiple cup sizes and the option of a colorblocked band.
Made by Rae Gemma Tank
Made By Rae's Gemma Tank is another great quick to sew basic, with a subtly curved hem and two neckline options.
Christine Haynes Lottie Hacks
Christine Haynes' Lottie Dress + Top pattern has been out for a while now, but she's been releasing a series of pattern hacks on her blog and I couldn't resist sharing hack #3 which is a stunning colorblocked triangle version. (Links to all the mods on the pattern page.)
Events and Workshops
Schnittchen's Maker's Wish (Due August 15th, 2016, Online and Everywhere)
Schnittchen is doing a special project Maker's Wish, inviting sewists to submit ideas for women's garments they would like to become patterns in Schnittchen's 2017 line. Project submissions due August 15! More info at schnittchen.com.
Vancouver MQG Modern Quilt Showcase (August 27 + 28, North Vancouver, BC)
The VMQG is hosting their very first Quilt Showcase, featuring over 100 quilts by VMQG members and a Modern Mini Demonstration wall. There's also an outdoor concert the Saturday night with on-site food trucks! Get all the details on the VMQG website.
Denyse Schmidt at Fancy Tiger Crafts (September 9 + 11, 2016, Denver, CO)
Fancy Tiger Crafts partners with the Front Range MQG to host Denyse Schmidt for a Friday evening lecture and trunk show, followed by a full day workshop on improvisational patchwork on Sunday (rated for beginners plus).
Squam Modern Quilt Show + Gather Here Bash (September 17, 2016, Holderness, NH)
Squam, Gather Here, and the Cambridge MQG are coming together to host an AMAZING quilt show. The quilt show features many of your favorite modern quilters, and is open to submissions from New England MQG members. There are fantastic prizes, and so much more - all the info is available on the Squam website.
Dropcloth Red Stripe Sampler Stitch-A-Long (August 8 - September 26, 2016, Online and Everywhere)
Dropcloth Samplers presents Rebecca Ringquist's latest pattern, the Red Stripe Sampler, which is being done as a stitch-a-long with prizes and everything! More details on the Red Stripe Sampler pattern page.
Blogs + News
- Have you seen MakeMyPattern.com? It's a fascinating project by Belgian sewist Joost De Cock that allows you to input your measurements and print out custom sized patterns for free! The patterns are licensed with a Creative Commons license - you can modify them as you wish and also sell garments made from them. It's a really fascinating project and service!
- On diversity in the quilting world from the BadAss Quilters Society blog.
- Seamwork gives us crash courses on Where Cotton Comes From, The Origins of Clothing Sizes, and how to modify menswear patterns to create Androgynous Fashion looks at home.
- Tracy Mooney aka. "Sew Supportive", Senior Editor of "Generation Q" Magazine, is a guest on the ChronicBabe blog talking about how important it has been for her to keep sewing despite the challenges of chronic illness.
- Threads Magazine's Facebook page has been posting great handy videos on things like sleeve fitting and how to straighten the grain on woven fabrics.
- All about labelling quilts on the Chasing Cottons blog.
- How to support the quilting industry so our favorite shops and publications don't go under, from the Craft Nectar blog.
- Jaime and Amber from Fancy Tiger Crafts, along with several of their crafty friends went to Sweden and had what certainly qualifies as my dream holiday. You can see all the posts (and perhaps more to come?) on the Sweden tag of the Fancy Tiger blog.
- Crafty Planner Episode 70 with Sonya Philip
- Squam Morning on the Dock Episode 41 with Virginia Johnson of Gather Here
- Sewing Out Loud on UPF Fabrics
- Seamwork Episode 12 with Make My Pattern's Joost De Cock
- Have Company Episode 43 with Taylor from Blueprints for Sewing
- Crafty Planner Epidsode 71 with Cheryl Arkison
- The Good Life Project with Mary Fons
- Sewing Out Loud on Sewing Anxiety & Procrastination
- Seamwork Episode 13 with Marie from Stitching Odyssey
- Crafty Planner Episode 77 with Melissa Mora from Melly Sews + Blank Slate Patterns
Anything I missed? Add your links and news below! If you have some news we should include in the next edition, please tag us on social media @textillia or drop us a quick message through the Contact page!
ps. If you're enjoying Textillia and want to help make it a success, here are some ways you can help out!
pps. Be sure to follow the Textillia blog on Bloglovin!