Log in or join Textillia to get full access to the database and become part of our community of sewists, quilters, and textile artists.

This project was an attempt to sew a dress for my sister-in-law, who had just given birth and could have used some comfy clothing that was breast-feeding friendly. The result? A UFO buried in my to-do pile since the modifications did not work out as planned. Additionally, the cotton fabric has a very soft/nice hand, but has very poor recovery and I found that aspect to be rather annoying. 

Modifications

Using the standard pattern, except eliminating the collar and pockets, and changing the shoulders to be separated @ shoulder seam-- resulting in straps that could overlap and button. I attempted a buttonhole on one strap and found it to be a very, very terrible idea since I had not stabilized the fabric with interfacing. The buttonhole stretched out of place and when I tried to pick the fine stitches I found myself snagging the fabric. What a mess.

It was a great idea: a stretchy, comfy dress that buttons/unbuttons easily at each shoulder for breastfeeding. I'll get it figured out someday. 

Edit: I just sewed the straps together, overlapping, and now wear this as a dress for work.